• Sneaky
  • Stresses
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 6 ... LastLast

Thread: [GUIDE] Setting up a regular windows Hosting VPS for FOREX trading.

Will work for pips
      I am:
      ----

autotradefx is on a distinguished road autotradefx's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      8.45 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Default [GUIDE] Setting up a regular windows Hosting VPS for FOREX trading.

Setting up a regular windows Hosting VPS for FOREX trading.

One of the most important tools that you need for Automated Forex Trading is a Good FOREX VPS. The rest everything else is secondary. Here I will show you how to setup your own VPS server for FOREX Trading.

Basically a VPS which you can use for Forex trading is a windows Virtual computer. Yes the same kind that you use to host websites. The only difference is that for forex trading you need a windows based hosting. Metatrader cannot be installed on a Linux server. Wish one day they come up with a version for Linux as it’s much cheaper.

Anyways, You might have seen a lot of ads for Forex VPS which are quite expensive compared to regular windows hosting. Well that’s basically because all the installation and the managing is done for you. But have you wondered, if you can do this yourself you can have a VPS for half the price or lesser. It’s not all that difficult by the way. All you need to do is find a good windows hosting service with the least of downtime and who provides you remote access. I’m sure if you do a search you can find man.

If you want an example, this is what I use. But you can find many more with a Google search.
      https://vpsport.com/

I use the cheapest service out there for about $12 a month, it servers the purpose & I never had a downtime. I have about 8 metatraders running any given time, as I do a lot of testing on EA’s and copy trades etc.

Connecting to Your VPS
      In order to connect to a windows VPS remotely, you need to use software named “Remote Desktop Connection” which is bundled with all versions of windows. Under windows XP it is located under: All Programs –> Accessories –> Communications

Under windows Vista it is located under : All Programs –> Accessories
      after running this software you will see the following window , enter the IP or host name of your VPS into the computer filed and click on Connect.

In a few seconds a new windows box will be opened and you will have to enter the username and password which is provided by your windows VPS provider. Once you enter the login details successfully , the desktop of windows VPS will be shown to you. This will look exactly like your home windows computer desktop.

In order to install any software like Meta Trader or any other trading stations, it is exactly like how you install them on your home PC , you can run internet explorer on your VPS , download the software you need and install and use it.

While this is one way to connect to your VPS, for regular access you would need to create a shortcut on your computer to connect to it with just a click anytime.

SETTING UP YOUR VPS
      Now below I will explain to you the steps one by one to setup your Windows VPS for FOREX Trading. Namely these:

Step 1: Getting your Login Details
      Step 2: Setup a shortcut to access your VPS in console mode:
      Step 3: Configuring VPS to login automatically after a restart
      Step 4: Installing a file transfer system between your home computer & VPS
      Step 4: Installing Metatrader platforms
      Step 5: Configuring your Mt4 applications to restart automatically after a restart.
      Step 6: Restart your VPS every Saturday or Sunday to keep it healthy & running.

Step 1: Getting your Login Details
      Once you buy the hosting package you will be send a very important mail with the login credentials. Keep this safely. You will get an IP address for your VPS, eg: 204.56.74.34, an administrator username & password. You would also get a control panel link from where you setup the various aspects of hosting or maintenance.

Step 2: Setup a shortcut to access your VPS in console mode:Once you get the remote access details you should configure RAS (Remote Access Server) in the console mode. As doing it any other way is no good for our FOREX trading purpose. This way just double clicking on the icon connects you every time.

Minimize all applications so that you can see your windows computer desktop. Right click on any empty space and choose “New – Shortcut” Now you will get a popup window. In that box enter the following:

“mstsc.exe /v:204.56.74.34 /console”

Note: Replace " 204.56.74.34 " with the IP address of your windows server

Now click on next and you can give a name for the shortcut. You can name it as “MyVPS” or something like that and click on finish. I suggest you save this shortcut as you can simply paste it to any computer and access your VPS with it.

Ok now when you double click on the shortcut that you created you will see a dialog box connecting to your server. Once its connected to the server you will get the option of feeding in your username and password. Now it logs in to your virtual server.

You will see that everything looks different on your computer, that’s because it opens in full screen. Now for you to view your personal computers screen you would have to hover the mouse pointer at the top of the screen and you will see a dropdown option appearing, where in you have the option to restore or minimize your VPS.

Note: Always exit your VPS just by closing the X on the drop down and never logoff or shutdown your VPS as you will be having Multiple Metatrader applications running on it.

The rest of the steps will be explained in my next post:
      To be Continued.....
      Last edited by moneygrows; 02-08-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: edit title and stickied

2. The following 11 users say Thank You to autotradefx for this useful post.

Bao Long (01-29-2014), crazyforx (05-02-2014), ding dong (02-06-2014), forexaddict (03-03-2012), ig1290 (02-06-2014), moneygrows (12-21-2011), PhantomTrader79 (12-28-2011), seven_razor (07-12-2012), systematicfx (04-08-2013), vijjuxtra (08-30-2015), yalewang (02-25-2013)

Will work for pips
      I am:
      ----

Accumulated bonus
      8.45 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Default Setting up FOREX VPS - Post Continuation

Step 3: Configuring VPS to login automatically after a restart

Once the VPS is restarted you would need it to login automatically into the administrator login and open your trading platforms automatically. (This is very important)

Type in “ netplwiz “ into the start menu search box, or in the run dialog box and hit enter, and you’ll see a dialog box open up. Now choose the administrator login and uncheck the box above it where it says” Users must enter a username and password to use this computer “ That’s all.

Step 4: Installing a file transfer system between your home computer & VPS

Now you will need a seamless way to transfer your important Forex files, example metatrading platforms, expert advisors, indicators, important files etc. Simply copying from your local computer and pasting into your VPS won’t work; as this is an entirely different computer hosted somewhere else.

I use a service called as Dropbox. Using this you can create and account and can have a regular folder within the “my documents” area & your desktop. You should install the drop box on your home computer and on the VPS. In fact you can install it on any number of computers that you generally access from.

Any files or folders that you create within the drop box folder is automatically & instantly synchronized across all your computers while a copy of it will remain on the Internet. Ps: Just make sure you don’t do a mistake of accidently dropping in a huge movie file or something into it, as all your connected computers will get slow downloading that file.

You can create a free account here: You get about 2 Gb of free space.

Step 4: Installing Metatrader platforms
      This step I’m sure most of you know, so I’ll keep it short. Basically you download the metatrader from any broker and double click on it to install. You have an option to choose the folder where it gets installed. I prefer to install it on my C drive. Its your choice where you would like to install it.

You can install any number of metatraders on your account; most people who uses a VPS would generally run 3 – 4 instances of metatraders. Say 1 or 2 live accounts and maybe 1 or 2 demo accounts testing your strategy expert advisors or copy tools etc.

Step 5: Configuring your Mt4 applications to restart automatically after a restart.
      This is one of the most important steps. The whole point of running the trading platform on a VPS is because you need it to run non stop. Sometimes your VPS can also get restarted maybe due to a bug or maybe for a scheduled maintenance by your web host. In any case you would want the metatraders to open automatically after a restart.

It is very simple to do this. After every install of a metatrader you will find that a desktop icon would appear, which when double clicked opens that particular trading platform. You would need to copy the shortcut of the metatrader from your desktop and paste it inside the startup folder.

To paste, click on start, go to programs and you will see “startup” there. Right click onit and choose to open. Now paste the metatrader shortcut there.

Ps: You might want to do this step for all the different platforms that you want to automatically start. Same way remove any shortcuts of any metatrader that you are not using anymore, to free system resources.

Step 6: Restart your VPS every Saturday to keep it healthy & running.
      This is optional; you can either set it up for scheduled restarts or do it manually. I prefer to do it manually twice in a month or so.

Anyways the steps for scheduled restart is this:
      Click run and type In: “taskschd.msc” and press enter to open the scheduler dialog box. Now follow the steps in the below link.

Steps for winxp and servers:

This is all the information you need to setup your VPS for automated Trading. I hope everything is clear for you. In case you would need any other clarifications feel free to message me or post here, I’ll try my best to help out.

Regards
      Jason

4. The following 4 users say Thank You to autotradefx for this useful post.

Bao Long (01-29-2014), crazyforx (05-02-2014), Golam Rabbani Hamidi (10-21-2012), vijjuxtra (08-30-2015)

Banned
      I am:
      Inspired

sfc79 is on a distinguished road sfc79's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      340.01 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

it would much better if you put the images along with your steps. Is there any vps services comes free with the brokers? cause i'm still using a manual trade, so my frequency using independent vps is lesser.

Banned
      I am:
      Angelic

declassica trader is on a distinguished road declassica trader's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      368.65 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

you should give to attach a picture so you can info you information more clearly because the images can be clear what you mean

Will work for pips
      I am:
      ----

Accumulated bonus
      8.45 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by declassica trader View Post
      you should give to attach a picture so you can info you information more clearly because the images can be clear what you mean
      Im still figuring out how to attach images.

I am:
      Busy

moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thanked 22,750 Times in 5,539 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by autotrade** View Post
      Im still figuring out how to attach images.
      easiest way would be to host the pictures on some free image hosting site like imageshack, photobucket, etc. Once you done hosting there, they will give you the link for your image. Just insert the link in your post here.

My charts talk to me!
      I am:
      Sad

asingh601 will become famous soon enough asingh601's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      534.22 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Thanks for this Introduction and Setup manual i will Try this definitely and also recommend my juniors Thanks.

Will work for pips
      I am:
      ----

Accumulated bonus
      8.45 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfc79 View Post
      it would much better if you put the images along with your steps. Is there any VPS services comes free with the brokers? cause i'm still using a manual trade, so my frequency using independent vps is lesser.
      Yes there are a few brokers giving vps services, but i woudnt recommend it. The main problem with using the brokers VPS is that you would be able to run only their metatrader platform. Also in most of those kind of broker VPS you will only see the metatrader platform and not the actual desktop of the computer like a regular computer. Most of them will also have restrictions as to how many platform you can run, in most cases it would be just one

Anyways here is a list of brokers providing free VPS with the amount you need invested to get a free VPS
      Free-vps-hosting-brokers

Will work for pips
      I am:
      ----

Accumulated bonus
      8.45 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moneygrows View Post
      easiest way would be to host the pictures on some free image hosting site like imageshack, photobucket, etc. Once you done hosting there, they will give you the link for your image. Just insert the link in your post here.
      Thanks I'll try that.

Will work for pips
      I am:
      ----

Accumulated bonus
      8.45 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asingh601 View Post
      Thanks for this Introduction and Setup manual i will Try this definitely and also recommend my juniors Thanks.
      You are welcome.

Hay if any of you guys are interested in investing in my PAMM account here is the link to my PAMM POST

I can offer you anywhere between 15 - 40% very saftely. Can test fund with even $10

Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 6 ... LastLast