• Sleepy
  • Sneaky
  • Stresses
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Reply to Thread

Thread: How far in the past should we back test?

FX Vampire
      I am:
      Busy

CratosFX is on a distinguished road CratosFX's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      208.10 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Default How far in the past should we back test?

I have a question for those traders that use and/or develop trading robots. How far do they go in the past to back test? A month, a year, two years or a certain number of trades will do like 100, 200, 1000 trades to see the profitability?

2. Forex Game
      Forex in the blood
      I am:
      ----

captainleo is a name known to all captainleo is a name known to all captainleo is a name known to all captainleo is a name known to all captainleo is a name known to all captainleo is a name known to all captainleo's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      227.55 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cratos** View Post
      I have a question for those traders that use and/or develop trading robots. How far do they go in the past to back test? A month, a year, two years or a certain number of trades will do like 100, 200, 1000 trades to see the profitability?
      One or two years should be enough for back test and of course you can do more too because it only need a few mins to do it. But you must also try it with live test too in demo account because market condition always changes too. It will be useless if the EA showing good result during back test but can't give us real profit while we use real money.

FX Zombie
      I am:
      ----

tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri has much to be proud of tahiri's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      869.15 USD (What is this?)
      caught pokemons
      2 (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,166 Times in 552 Posts

in my opinion, you need to backtest different time, I mean you backtest the long time as 3 years or higher and backtest small time like 1 year or few month, by backtesting long time, you test the stability of your tool and see the drawdown and for a small time you backtest the other parameters like take profit, stop loss, etc.

MT5 Addict
      I am:
      ----

Warren Bafett is a glorious beacon of light Warren Bafett is a glorious beacon of light Warren Bafett is a glorious beacon of light Warren Bafett is a glorious beacon of light Warren Bafett is a glorious beacon of light Warren Bafett is a glorious beacon of light Warren Bafett's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      211.43 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

How about forward test? Is such thing exist? You know I just don't believe in back test, why would you test your method on the previous market? which already happen long long time ago? I can't understand that idea though, no offense. What important is now...the present!
      No Guts No Glory!

6. <a href="http://www.mt5.com/">‘ÓūŚÍŮ ÔÓūÚŗŽ</a>
      I am:
      Busy

moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thanked 21,393 Times in 5,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Bafett View Post
      How about forward test? Is such thing exist? You know I just don't believe in back test, why would you test your method on the previous market? which already happen long long time ago? I can't understand that idea though, no offense. What important is now...the present!
      Forward test would actually mean to try and run the EA using a demo account or even cent account type. Thats the only test i rely on as backtest are only to see if the EA functioning perfectly or not.

Reply to Thread