• Sleepy
  • Sneaky
  • Stresses
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Reply to Thread

Thread: MT4 - Changed foldername and everything is lost (exe opens new terminal - should NOT)

Where am I?
      I am:
      ----

YourFriend is an unknown quantity at this point YourFriend's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      0.90 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Default MT4 - Changed foldername and everything is lost (exe opens new terminal - should NOT)

Hi,

Could anyone please review three pictures in attachment. I renamed foldernames of Metatrader installation and didn't know this will damage entire terminal ids causing Metatrader to look like it was just installed when i opened it. For one terminal i solved the problem because i changed foldername back. For another, it doesn't let me solve it. All data seems to be lost and NEW terminal id is being created in AppData instead of old one (with data) used. Please see attached 3 pictures if / when you will be available. Your answer would be highly appreciated as I am worried very much that i lost everything i had on first (out of two) terminals.

https://imgur.com/a/ki0Nv
      https://imgur.com/a/vmBFl
      https://imgur.com/a/hxv65

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YourFriend For This Useful Post:

moneygrows (03-08-2018)

My charts talk to me!
      I am:
      ----

Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper has much to be proud of Borneo Scalper's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      527.56 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,535 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YourFriend View Post
      Hi,

Could anyone please review three pictures in attachment. I renamed foldernames of Metatrader installation and didn't know this will damage entire terminal ids causing Metatrader to look like it was just installed when i opened it. For one terminal i solved the problem because i changed foldername back. For another, it doesn't let me solve it. All data seems to be lost and NEW terminal id is being created in AppData instead of old one (with data) used. Please see attached 3 pictures if / when you will be available. Your answer would be highly appreciated as I am worried very much that i lost everything i had on first (out of two) terminals.

https://imgur.com/a/ki0Nv
      https://imgur.com/a/vmBFl
      https://imgur.com/a/hxv65
      you can try 2 option and hopefully one of it can help you solve it.

1. Right click on the desktop icon > click properties > change the "target" and "start in" to the folder and exe you want
      2. Copy all data from the folder you want and paste it in the new created folder

4. The following 2 users say Thank You to Borneo Scalper for this useful post.

moneygrows (03-08-2018), Unregistered (1)

Where am I?
      I am:
      ----

Accumulated bonus
      0.90 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding 1: The needed terminal ID, which is the foldername starting with ''2010'' (first link in my first post), doesn't contain exe of the terminal. Exe is being runned from Program Files and not from terminal ID located in AppData. If I go to the actual folder of problematical terminal (so the terminal 1 which is the left side icon on desktop and NOT right side), located in Program Files (X86), and doubleclick on terminal.exe, it opens new terminal id like everything would be just installed. I lost everything, all the settings there. For second terminal the problem was solved (all settings back working under needed terminal id) with renaming back foldername from NEW to OLD one. Didn't know i will have so much problems if i rename the folder id. But renaming the first folder of first terminal doesn't work to bring back the existing terminal id (foldername starting with ''2010'').

Regarding 2: This is not what I am asking. I don't try to move the settings from one to another terminal id, even if it was entire content (entire!!) of ''2010..'' terminal id to ''94...'' terminal id.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to YourFriend For This Useful Post:

moneygrows (03-08-2018)

I am:
      Busy

moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows has a reputation beyond repute moneygrows's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thanked 22,410 Times in 5,391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YourFriend View Post
      Thank you for your reply.

Regarding 1: The needed terminal ID, which is the foldername starting with ''2010'' (first link in my first post), doesn't contain exe of the terminal. Exe is being runned from Program Files and not from terminal ID located in AppData. If I go to the actual folder of problematical terminal (so the terminal 1 which is the left side icon on desktop and NOT right side), located in Program Files (X86), and doubleclick on terminal.exe, it opens new terminal id like everything would be just installed. I lost everything, all the settings there. For second terminal the problem was solved (all settings back working under needed terminal id) with renaming back foldername from NEW to OLD one. Didn't know i will have so much problems if i rename the folder id. But renaming the first folder of first terminal doesn't work to bring back the existing terminal id (foldername starting with ''2010'').

Regarding 2: This is not what I am asking. I don't try to move the settings from one to another terminal id, even if it was entire content (entire!!) of ''2010..'' terminal id to ''94...'' terminal id.
      Sounds like you accidentally deleted something while trying to fix your problem. Have you tried checking the files in your recycle bin? Hopefully it is still there and you can restore it or else you would need to reinstall back everything.

8. The following 2 users say Thank You to moneygrows for this useful post.

Unregistered (2)

9. ForexCopy
      Where am I?
      I am:
      ----

Accumulated bonus
      0.90 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moneygrows View Post
      Sounds like you accidentally deleted something while trying to fix your problem. Have you tried checking the files in your recycle bin? Hopefully it is still there and you can restore it or else you would need to reinstall back everything.
      Hi and thank you for your message. Into the Recycle Bin i was only deleting new terminal IDs that were occurring upon each Metatrader installation foldername's change (edit name of folder) within Program Files. I never knew I shouldn't change foldername which causes MT to get new terminal id and the consequence of this cause is that when i run the terminal, it looks like it was just installed. I didn't accidentally delete anything. Both terminal ids are still in AppData folder with belonging settings, indicators, opened charts, custom sizes of charts and many many more that belongs to custom settings. The only problem is that upon foldername change, the terminal is getting new terminal id and result of this is that settings are NOT there anymore. I still have previous correct terminal id folder in AppData but don't know how to link this problematic terminal.exe (see first link - see left MT icon on a desktop - shortcut icon's image is gone!) with correct terminal id from AppData. It was assigned to new terminal id and being very worried how to solve this. Fortunately, God knows how, I managed to solve the same problem with only renaming foldername of second terminal from new to old one and forcing myself to remain having the ugly foldername in the future too. I don't know how to solve the problem for first terminal (only second is solved), because said solution doesn't work for first one. In recycle bin, as said, are only other terminal ids that got created when i was changing foldername. Noone has ever told me that one change of foldername (talking about the installation foldername in Program Files and not the one in AppData) will cause settings to be lost and new terminal id to be assigned. I didn't know that. I would like to particularly emphasize that ''correct'' (from the past) terminal id starting with ''2010'' as shown on link in my first message is still there and i have no reason to believe why would any custom setting (e.g. list of ALL charts with correct time frames still be opened) be missing in ''2010...'' terminal id. The problem is that MT is taking ''94..'' terminal id (consequence: terminal looks like it was just installed a second ago, no custom settings are there) instead of ''2010...'' one and i want to know how to link the terminal to correct terminal id. After it will be linked to (so after problem gets hopefully solved), i will obviously permanently delete ''94...'' terminal id.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

anyone knows?

Reply to Thread