• Sneaky
  • Stresses
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to survive in forex market with big lot size trading?

It's time to retire!
      I am:
      Fine

Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex has a reputation beyond repute Kalex's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      4958.11 USD (What is this?)
      caught pokemons
      4 (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,683 Posts

Default Is it possible to survive in forex market with big lot size trading?

Is it Possible to survive in Forex market with bigger lotsize trading ? Max traders are having common knowledge that they may get margin call if they trade with bigger or higher lotsize ? What's your opinion in this matter ? Can you please highlight in this matter .

The question is already fully explored with many answer.
      http://forum.mt5.com/showthread.php?...1#post12757449
      Last edited by PhantomTrader79; 05-13-2018 at 08:06 AM.

2. The following 18 users say Thank You to Kalex for this useful post.

Alexander Tatsumaki (03-11-2018), bidyut (03-13-2018), Blacklight (03-14-2018), dtvade (05-22-2018), forexianz (05-19-2018), GhostMode (03-13-2018), Interlock (05-18-2018), MartyFish (03-20-2018), nikhil_rrane (03-14-2018), Obie (03-11-2018), sentosa (03-11-2018), taifon (05-19-2018), Tarikul Islam (Yesterday), Unregistered (5)

3. <a href="http://forum.mt5.com">‘ÓūŚÍŮ ÔÓūÚŗŽ</a>
      MT5 Maniac
      I am:
      Cool

Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki has a reputation beyond repute Alexander Tatsumaki's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      2794.20 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 7,278 Times in 2,454 Posts

yes it is possible.

but i have to ask, what is big lotsize? your definitions may not be my definitions, and they may not be another persons either. how much is big really?

what i can say in general is that if you trade with "big" lot size, that would mean that you take high risk and trade a bit to much then that is not a good thing. think about it like this, how much can you guess the direction and see if it goes up and down if you use a big lot size and compare that to a small lot size. if you can guess 5 times with a big one then that is certainly to much. if you can guess 50 times with a small lot size then that would be better, remember that you can add the total risk together.

what you you rather have? 5 big risks or 50 small ones? if you had 50 000 on the table to gamble would you risk 10 000 on each position? would you risk 1 000? it becomes more clear when you look at it like that. to me many small trades are always better. but sure there are ways to make money using big lot size also, it is just not for me.

The Symbiosis mashed up Trading Journal
      <--

Winner of Best answers contest!

5. The following 13 users say Thank You to Alexander Tatsumaki for this useful post.

bidyut (03-13-2018), dtvade (05-22-2018), dzin4aans (03-13-2018), forexaddict (03-29-2018), GhostMode (03-13-2018), Kalex (03-11-2018), MartyFish (03-20-2018), nikhil_rrane (03-15-2018), Obie (03-11-2018), sentosa (03-11-2018), Unregistered (3)

FX Zombie
      I am:
      ----

Obie has much to be proud of Obie has much to be proud of Obie has much to be proud of Obie has much to be proud of Obie has much to be proud of Obie has much to be proud of Obie has much to be proud of Obie has much to be proud of Obie's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      1094.79 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,097 Times in 450 Posts

It is possible to thrive in the forex markets while trading big lot sizes, but it requires adequate capital outlay, technical competence on the part of the trader and rigorous testing.

The first precondition for attempting to trade big lot sizes (by which I mean lot sizes exceeding 5 mini lots) is that the trader must have adequate capital. Always, the guiding principle should be that the trader will not risk more than 2% of his capital on a single trade and the total number of open orders should not exceed 5% of the account equity by volume.

The trader must also make sure that all open trade positions are monitored and watched carefully so as not to be swayed by sudden violent price movements. Paying close attention to one's trades ensures that when there is a sudden move against the trader's position, the trade can be nipped in the bud and losses curtailed.

Finally when trading large lot sizes, traders should endeavour to cut all losing positions abruptly.

7. The following 7 users say Thank You to Obie for this useful post.

Alexander Tatsumaki (03-21-2018), bidyut (03-13-2018), dtvade (05-22-2018), dzin4aans (03-13-2018), GhostMode (03-13-2018), Interlock (Yesterday), Kalex (03-11-2018)

Forex in the blood
      I am:
      Bored

sentosa is just really nice sentosa is just really nice sentosa is just really nice sentosa is just really nice sentosa's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      163.84 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

In general, 100 thousand units of the standard currency for standard accounts, 10 thousand units for mini accounts, and the last is 1000 units for micro accounts. The size of the lot determines the small size of the transaction that we do on the forex market. If the capital or equality that we have large, then we can do forex transactions with a lot of large lot. But it must be remembered that the risk of loss or loss will be greater although of course followed by a greater opportunity to gain profit.

Lot is the standard size per transaction, generally 100,000 (100 thousand) units of its base currency for standard accounts, 10,000 (10 thousand) units for mini accounts and 1000 units for micro accounts. The point is that the number of lots is the size of the size of the transaction on forex. The greater the number of lots that we transaksikan, capital or equity that we must have must be large and of course big profit or risk loss is great.

9. The following 5 users say Thank You to sentosa for this useful post.

Alexander Tatsumaki (04-02-2018), bidyut (03-13-2018), GhostMode (03-13-2018), Interlock (Yesterday), Kalex (03-12-2018)

Forum Master
      I am:
      Fine

GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode has a brilliant future GhostMode's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      1800.70 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,598 Times in 621 Posts

Well for me no trader can survive for 5 years or survive for a long time in Forex if they are using big lot size to the extent that their account is over-leveraged, This is a sure-way to massive multiple losses for a very long time. A Forex trader should make a timely conscious effort to calculate the needed safe Lot size for each trade so that they can be able to trade with lower risks and make their accounts to survive for a long term.

11. The following 3 users say Thank You to GhostMode for this useful post.

amiron56 (03-13-2018), bidyut (03-13-2018), Interlock (Yesterday)

MT5 Resident
      I am:
      ----

amiron56 has a spectacular aura about amiron56 has a spectacular aura about amiron56's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      1486.73 USD (What is this?)
      caught pokemons
      1 (What is this?)
      Thanks

We should not think a big lot mean big profit for this reason all professional trader 95 to 99% keep back up money. Who support big lot they not habituated with big lot. I think the thread opener, meaning here can trader use 50% to 80% money as trade. I straightly tell never and ever. This is self suicide method. 1 to 10% money can be used for trade.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to amiron56 For This Useful Post:

bidyut (03-13-2018)

MT5 Veteran
      I am:
      Inspired

bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut has a reputation beyond repute bidyut's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      1389.06 USD (What is this?)
      caught pokemons
      412 (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 6,824 Times in 1,808 Posts

An experienced trader would always try to trade with proper money management even he/she uses bigger lot size and there are lot of chances that he/she would able to make a lot of profit. But in other hand an inexperienced trader wonít able to trade effectively even if he/she uses low lot size orders. For a newbie or for an inexperienced trader it is not suitable to trade with bigger lot size orders. Most probably he/she wonít able to control the risk and as a result he/she may fail to survive at the end. There are a lot of differences between a professional trader and a general trader. Professional trader could able to survive with bigger lot size trading. First of all a professional trader always try to trade in confirmed market. Generally a professional trader trades when he/she gets good signal and find suitable market condition. And as a result there are more possibility that the professional trader will able to survive even by trading with bigger lot size orders.

But in other hand an inexperienced trader could lose every penny if he/she tries to trade with bigger lot size orders. Because his/her trading decision will not be based on any particular reason. Most probably his/her trading decision would be based on greed and nothing else. He/she wonít try to look at economic calendar. He/she wonít try to look at support and resistance levels. And it is very possible that he/she wonít try to look at the time itself. For example we canít get good movement when there is no market participant. But when we look at certain time period for example during EURO session or during USA market sessions we get good movements in the market. So those who want to trade with bigger lot size must consider few important things before trading.

Why Bigger Lot Size Orders Wonít Bring Profit To Somebody? Few key points are as follows:
      1. If a trader is inexperienced in forex trading field and try to trade without proper analysis at that situation he/she may fail to survive at the end.
      2. If a trader do not keep enough margin or equity at that situation it is very possible that he/she could get margin call due to big lot size order trading.
      3. If a trader choose high volatile pair for example GBPNZD or Gold at that situation big lot size orders could bring him/her down at any time due to high volatility nature.
      4. Sometimes we canít get good signal or good movements in the market. If we try to trade in such unconfirmed market condition we may fail to survive at the end.
      5. Those who do not use SL or do not ready to cut losses, in such situation if the price goes against the opened positions then we may fail to survive at the end.

Who could win with bigger lot size orders? Key points are as follows:
      1. Those who are experienced in the field. For example a professional scalper who always ready to close orders in small profit or who can analyze the trend well can definitely able to make good profit with big lot size orders.
      2. Those who patiently wait for correct level to trade are real winners with big lot size orders. They are more careful in opening their orders at correct level so they always able to reap good profit from the market even with bigger lot size orders.
      3. Those traders who have good trading experience and know where to open and where to close orders are real profitable traders. They can easily make good profit by using bigger lot size orders.
      4. Those who are more disciplined and have good faith on their own trading system always able to do well in his/her trade. They can make good profit by using bigger lot size orders.
      Conclusions:

Here I want to clarify that we canít say which lot size is bigger and which is not for a particular trader. For a professional trader 1 lot may be less or even 10 lot size could be low compare to any other trader. It also depends on the account size. Those who are newbie shouldnít opt high lot size order trading. If they do so there are a lot of chances that the account will blow in no time. However for a professional trader it is known fact that if they do not trade properly then they will also get margin call. So for a trader who is good at trading must trade carefully then there is no risk at all.

We often hear about margin call. Good traders also get margin call because they opt for high lot size orders. Because they have failed to analyse the trend correctly. So this is a negative side of high lot size order trading. Most of the time even good traders fail to predict the market accurately. Sometimes sudden negative or positive news releases and as a result traders get huge spike. If it goes against somebody's trading position then he/she could get immediate margin call. I'm trying to write about bigger lot size order just for the sake of the question. I don't suggest anybody to trade with bigger lot size. Those who uses bigger lot size orders and able to survive are highly experienced traders. If somebody try to follow them then it is very possible that he/she may get margin call. So it is important for a trader to know the negative sides or disadvantages of high lot size order tradings.
      Last edited by bidyut; 03-13-2018 at 06:10 PM.

15. The following 9 users say Thank You to bidyut for this useful post.

Alexander Tatsumaki (03-14-2018), dzin4aans (03-13-2018), forexaddict (03-29-2018), Kalex (03-31-2018), MartyFish (03-20-2018), nikhil_rrane (03-15-2018), Unregistered (3)

I am:
      Crappy

dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans has a reputation beyond repute dzin4aans's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thanked 19,965 Times in 4,808 Posts

Technically it is, there are great traders who will get their position with huge lot size and just 50 pips stop loss. But from my experience I can tell you, its extremely hard to catch such move and the first rule to catch is - Dont chase the top or bottom. If you open big lot size trade, do it within the recent movement of the market. If its falling, go and sell it for more movement in that direction.

If you open big lot size trade trying to catch top or bottom, its highly unlikely you will do that because you never know when exactly market will reverse. So keeping this in mind, dont do that. Ive tried that dozens of times, not a single one ended well

I know that majority of traders will tell that their biggest profits come from big lot size trades when they feel this is the right moment. I have those feelings too sometimes. But its been so few times I got it right that I even dont remember any to be honest. Ive always blown my account into pieces and fell on my knees with a heart broken..

Dont do this unless you want to feel those bad feelings, sure you will get over them but my deepest suggestion to you is that dont ever have them, that will help you in your trading...

17. The following 5 users say Thank You to dzin4aans for this useful post.

Alexander Tatsumaki (03-21-2018), bidyut (03-15-2018), Interlock (Yesterday), MartyFish (03-20-2018), nikhil_rrane (03-15-2018)

Where am I?
      I am:
      Pensive

Blacklight is on a distinguished road Blacklight's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      12.69 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

we can say that's possible to survive in Forex market with bigger lot-size trading by having small Leverage level , such as 1:100 like that your benefices are small but the risks you take are small too which allow to avoid getting margin call , i prefer getting small benefices than losing all what i have
      i believe that a lot of small benefices + some times makes a big benefices

19. The following 0 users say Thank You to Blacklight for this useful post.

20. FB
      FX Super Hero
      I am:
      ----

nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane has much to be proud of nikhil_rrane's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      698.48 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,160 Times in 376 Posts

Higher lot trading is very commonly done in this highly volatile market. Every trader who enters in the market like to make huge income in the short time so he start to trade using higher lots but due to high volatility and lack of knowledge about the technicals and fundamentals, they will not able to survive in the market. This is the common picture which we see everywhere still we try to do the same. But There are some rules and limitations for such trading as follows:

1) Prepare your mind for higher lot trading before you have to take trade.

2) Analyse the pair which you have to trade fundamentally and technically.

3) You must have to understand the risk for that trade so that you can place proper stop loss and take profit for your trade. Otherwise Its margin call which will happens to most of the account who do not assess their risk.

4) After taking trade, you must have huge patience as the pair will move in any direction so try to stay away from your charts beside monitoring in between.

5) Do not compound whole of your profit you get, try to withdraw some of the profit from time to time so that you will not have any panic situation.

6) Keep some waiting period between the trades for analyse the situation otherwise you may overtrade due to greed and take unnecessary trades.

If you follow such strategy by taking each and every point in consideration, then it is really easy to survive with bigger lot trading.

Stay determined!! Survival of the fittest is the rule of this nature

22. The following 3 users say Thank You to nikhil_rrane for this useful post.

bidyut (03-15-2018), forexaddict (03-29-2018), MartyFish (03-20-2018)

Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast