• Sneaky
  • Stresses
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stop Loss v/s Trailing Stop Loss: Which one is best?

Banned
      I am:
      ----

simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola has a reputation beyond repute simisola's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      2486.28 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 11,566 Times in 2,922 Posts

Trailing stop loss is best for the people that concentrate on leaving their trades for a very long time to run, the reason they can decide to trail is such that when there is a change in the trend, they can leave with some good amount of profit instead of completely losing their previous earnings, I have seen someone trade gbp jpy which went into plus 200 pips and later turned around to be in minus 200 pips, if this person had locked some of the money he already made, he would probably had left with some good part of his profit.

A normal stop loss is what the every day forex trader uses to protect their accounts, it is fixed which means that once price has moved close to it, there is usually no adjustment that is done but to allow it get hit, then the trader can use that losses information to know his winning and losing edge in respect of the strategy being deployed.

2. The following 4 users say Thank You to simisola for this useful post.

Leonvic90 (05-02-2018), Neriah (05-03-2018), Oghale (05-03-2018), Timon (05-02-2018)

Banned
      I am:
      Happy

Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon has a reputation beyond repute Timon's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      652.50 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 4,963 Times in 848 Posts

Before we start to discuss and agree on which one is better among these two, it is necessary for us to realise that everyone does not trade with a stop loss, that is not just something that happen on its own but a product of their experience.

Trailing stop loss is used when you are sure that certain conditions have been fulfilled in the forex market and whenever there is a trend that seemed to have been on for some time is when we can even apply this, it would be unhealthy to think that we can trail a stop in a market condition is is moving in a side ways manner, that would be consider as unwise.

The regular stop loss is used by those that have a system that already have been measured in the demo account to have a certain outcome or performance.

4. The following 4 users say Thank You to Timon for this useful post.

Leonvic90 (05-02-2018), Neriah (05-03-2018), Oghale (05-03-2018), simisola (05-02-2018)

Forum Guru
      I am:
      ----

sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark has a reputation beyond repute sonibark's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      2280.66 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 13,283 Times in 3,365 Posts

In the forex trading market sometimes its difficult to say this is the best, both trailing stop and stop loss have different functions in the market.

A trailing stop loss is a command added to our trade or position to reduce or limit our loss, if your position moves favorably but then reverses, a trailing stop can lock in your profits before closing the trade.

While a stop loss is just a command that help to close our position if the market goes against our trade and the stop loss will close the trade at the price that we set.

So both are very good with different functions

I am:
      Busy

MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL has a reputation beyond repute MT5 bozZdeviL's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thanked 30,692 Times in 7,106 Posts

Both option is really good and useful for a traders, i prefer to choose both option between stop loss and trailing stop in each order i put in the forex market. Well, as we already know the benefit of using the stop loss. We can reduce our loss more losses that means we can reduce the risk of loss and far away from the margin call, using the trailing stop too have many benefit too for us, we can keep safe our floating profit when the price turn back against our positions. You can feel this benefit when there is a gap market movements if at the moment there is a news released.

7. The following 2 users say Thank You to MT5 bozZdeviL for this useful post.

わξΨǐ ツ (05-30-2018), dedy hari kurniawan (06-05-2018)

It's time to retire!
      I am:
      Relaxed

forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz has a reputation beyond repute forexianz's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      3811.48 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 6,970 Times in 2,622 Posts

I never use trailing stop in my trade. It is good to use trailing stop when the market move in trending. But when the market is not moving trending, then you need to use stop loss in positive. You can always set your stop loss at breakeven so if te he market make a U-turn then you won't lose anything. I hope that you can always find a good market to trade and choose the best one so that the chance for you to win will be high. Well, I want to share a good tips for you. If you want to choose the right time to trade, just wait for London session since at this time the market move actively.

FX Zombie
      I am:
      Chatty

sameeh is just really nice sameeh is just really nice sameeh is just really nice sameeh is just really nice sameeh is just really nice sameeh's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      380.52 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Both stop loss and trailing stop are good for trading and the trader can use any of them or both of them during trading, i prefer to use stop loss because it is better for me because i do not look for big target but always i prefer to choose a small target and small stop loss as this is more suitable for me and i trade better with stop loss than trailing stop.

But the traders that follow the trend will prefer to trade with trailing stop as this will help them to make more and more profits because they will follow the trend to its end and will not close the trades until find a reversal signal from the market, the trader needs to test both stop loss and trailing stop and then he will trade with the suitable one for him.

It's time to retire!
      I am:
      Pensive

dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan has a reputation beyond repute dedy hari kurniawan's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      3207.81 USD (What is this?)
      caught pokemons
      44 (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 15,042 Times in 2,967 Posts

Stop Loss v/s Trailing Stop Loss: Which one is best?
      Stop loss and trailing stop has a function to lock profit that is still running. The difference is manual and automatic, when you use trailing stop to secure your profit that is still running then trailing stop can be set automatically. Stop loss also has the same function as trailing stop, it's just you have to do manually in moving the price where you want to secure profit when the price reverses from your open position. But the trailing stop does not have advantages such as stop loss which can limit losses in trading. The point is that trailing only has 1 function in its use but stop loss has 2 functions. Which is better is depending on each trader in utilizing the use of stop loss and trailing stop. For me, i might choose trailing stop because it is more useful and moves automatically to secure profit in trading.
      don't use Luck in the trade but it would be better to use Greed
      hoping for something without hard work will not give anything

dedy hari kurniawan's trading journal

11. For the posts posted after 22.08.18, the likes will be displayed after 22.10.18
      My charts talk to me!
      I am:
      ----

adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19 has a brilliant future adex19's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      3.21 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 6,632 Times in 978 Posts

The use of stop loss command is the most common out of the two, as a matter of fact many traders most especially among beginners don't know what trailing stop loss is, because the option is not on the mobile platform of the mt4.

Well in my own perspective I think trailing stop is just meant for protecting our profit in the market after being on a winning trade.

Example when we buy GBPUSD at 1. 2344 price and fortunately the trade goes as plan, it move up and then we can set up the trailing stop to be anywhere Below the current price which if the price return to that trail price the trade will be close in profit.

This just helps us in going through the trouble of moving our stop loss higher when in profit.

13. For the posts posted after 22.08.18, the likes will be displayed after 22.10.18
      It's time to retire!
      I am:
      Inspired

fanatic is a splendid one to behold fanatic is a splendid one to behold fanatic is a splendid one to behold fanatic is a splendid one to behold fanatic is a splendid one to behold fanatic is a splendid one to behold fanatic is a splendid one to behold fanatic's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      3279.42 USD (What is this?)
      caught pokemons
      5 (What is this?)
      Thanks

Stop loss and trailing stop have their respective uses, and one does not necessarily serve the purpose of the other. So trying to choose the best would apply only when they are used interchangeably. Stop loss serves the purpose of limiting your loss to a predetermined number of pips in the event that the price of the currency you are trading moves against your trade direction. Stop loss is an essential requirement in money management.

Trailing stop is used to protect your profits in the event price moves against your trade direction when you have already made some profits. It is important to note that trailing stops can only function when when the trading platform is running. So, shutting your computer will prevent the trailing stop from being triggered, unlike stop loss that is executed on the broker's server.
      POSSIBILITIES ARE INFINITE IN THE FOREX MARKET, YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING !

15. For the posts posted after 22.08.18, the likes will be displayed after 22.10.18
    16. Dragon
      FX Zombie
      I am:
      ----

Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie has a brilliant future Obie's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      1160.69 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,842 Times in 753 Posts

In my experience, Stop Loss and trailing stop are trade control/risk management measures. However, they are more dissimilar than similar. A trailing stop is used in locking in a certain proportion of profits. This helps a trader to maintain a consistent and sustainable trading performance. A Stop Loss, however, is a risk management measure that limits the exposure of each trading account.

I think that Stop-Loss is better than trailing stop because the wild swings of volatility often trigger the trailing stop - especially when care is not taken to set the trailing stop outside the volatility band of a forex pair. Besides, Stop Loss usage has a greater degree of flexibility. For instance, Stop Loss can either be a visual Stop Loss or a Physical Stop Loss. Sometimes, Stop Loss can be based on time (instead of being based on the price level).

Trailing stops, in my own thinking, are suboptimal because they get triggered almost all the time. I prefer to use them when it is absolutely necessary (which is quite rare).

Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast