A Review on Dogs Eating Marshmallows

Dogs will always find ways to eat anything that they can reach. Many dogs also love sweets. That's why itís no wonder if the thoughts, ďcan dog eat marshmallows?Ē, came to your mind. To answer this question, the safest answer would be, No. In some instances, dogs can have marshmallows but it is not the best option for your canine companion. Generally, a plain marshmallow with no artificial sweetener or other harmful ingredients, are safe for dogs. The issue is it contains a lot of sugar that is not beneficial for your dogís diet and can cause a lot of health problems in the long run. Giving your dog foods or treats that are high in sugar can also cause obesity. This also reduces their lifespan and can also result in other complications like diabetes. You can give a small number of marshmallows on a very rare occasion but it is not advisable since this thought may encourage feeding them more. Too much marshmallow can also upset their stomach.

Are Marshmallows Toxic to Dogs?
The main point is not all marshmallows are toxic but to be safe, you should avoid giving them to dogs since it can still cause harm in the long run. The mindset of not feeding dogs marshmallows can also save them to possible harm especially if the ingredients of this sweet snack are not checked or unknown. Marshmallows became toxic to dogs because of some of its ingredients. Some of the toxic ingredients are the artificial sweetener Xylitol and chocolates.

Xylitol is more deadly than theobromine, the chemical that makes chocolate toxic to dogs. Even a small amount of Xylitol can cause severe symptoms to dogs such as blood sugar drop, liver failure, seizures, hypoglycemia, or the worst, death. Watch for early symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, and coordination problems. So if you want to try feeding your dog even with a small marshmallow, always check the label and talk to your vet if necessary.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Marshmallows?
If youíre on this page because your dog accidentally ate a marshmallow, you can breathe a sigh of relief. A small amount of marshmallow once in a blue moon wonít make them sick. Just be sure it does not contain harmful ingredients like Xylitol and chocolate. But if your pup canít be stopped and ate a whole bag of marshmallows, you should check if there are severe reactions like diarrhea and vomiting. Consult your vet as soon as possible.

If youíre sure that your pet ate marshmallows that have toxic ingredients like Xylitol even for a small amount, contact your vet immediately. Keep an eye for severe symptoms. You should bring your dog to the clinic immediately. Take note of the number of marshmallows and how long itís been after your dog ate them. Your vet may induce vomiting especially if many hours have passed to prevent prolonged severe reactions like gastrointestinal upset, pancreatitis, and GI obstruction. But like the saying preventive measures better than cure. You should be sure that all human foods that have a high amount of sugar or those that have toxic ingredients, should be put in higher places. Avoid dropping marshmallows or other human food that are not beneficial and can also cause harm when your dog is around.

Marshmallow Dog Treats When giving your dog marshmallow or other food as a treat, always apply the 10 percent rule. All dog treats should not exceed 10 percent of the dogís daily food intake. The remaining 90 percent should consist of a balanced diet. But still, it is not advisable to give marshmallows as a dog treat even if it does not contain toxic ingredients because they are made of high amounts of sugar. It can cause a lot of health problems and can result in gaining extra weight for your pup. Besides, why give your pet something with no nutritional value when there are lots of healthy options.

What Treats Can I Give to My Dog? What Fruits Can Dogs Eat?

Marshmallows may not be included on your healthy foods list for your dog. Although it may have some health benefits, it is not worth the risk. It is best to avoid giving your dog marshmallows. Giving your dog treats that contain a lot of sugar is never a good idea. It may not be harmful at the moment but it can have bad effects in the long run. Why not give your dog other treats or snacks that have more health benefits? Like fruits for example. But the question now is,

Are fruits safe to eat by our dogs?

Fruits that are safe for dogs can help them boost their immune system, improve their skin, reduce their inflammation, and improve their digestion. This is why you need to know what are the fruits that dogs can eat. While there are plenty of fruits that a dog can eat as a treat or as a snack, you can try feeding your dog with apples or bananas.

Apple is a sweet fruit that contains vitamins and minerals. It is safe for dogs to eat but be sure to remove the seeds and apple core. Banana on the other hand is a convenient and healthy snack that also contains vitamins and minerals. It is also safe but remembers to feed in moderation.

Can Dogs Eat Marshmallows?
So if you're wondering if dogs can eat marshmallows and would it be safe for them? the safe answer is No. Marshmallows can be given to dogs in small serving and on very rare occasions but it is not a good idea.

Although a small number of marshmallows once in a while wonít cause harm as long as they donít contain toxic ingredients like Xylitol or chocolate. It is still not recommended since they are made of high amounts of sugar that can be harmful to dogs over time. Large quantities can also cause stomach upset, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea to dogs.

If your pup ate a lot of sugar marshmallows, watch out for any severe effects then talk to your vet immediately. Just make sure that it does not contain Xylitol or any toxic ingredients. When in doubt, always consult your veterinarian.

If you want to offer marshmallows as a treat or snack to your dog, consider giving other healthy options also. Why not give him / her fruits instead? Aside from it can give your pup health benefits, there are a lot of safe fruits that you can choose from. Just be aware of choking hazards, toxic parts, and always feed in moderation.