Through time, things developed, changed, progressed, and improved. Such as education, transportation, communication, and even tradition. For example, centuries ago, a hundred-mile distance would take days to travel - but now it only takes hours.
Also, your mail for a person you know would have to fly and wait a couple of days before it reaches its recipient, but now with one click - the other person from the other side of the world can instantly access it in a few seconds.
Communication, transportation, along with other things has made mile-stone progress through time. But the change did not end there, now, ways of education have unexpectedly switched from traditional classroom to 21st century way of learning to online learning via video call. Things that were never even imagined before to happen. Also, the workplace has evolved so much today, because you can actually earn even if you stay at home.
Yes, things changed so much including the traditional set-up of jobs and employment that has also opened a tremendous opportunity to everybody. Decades ago, job opportunity was only limited to working at either a company or an office, - suffering the hassle of commuting and the scorching heat of the sun. But now, you can also be hired by an employer or a company with a twist, it's now online and you stay at home working - a home-based job.
What is a home-based job?
A typical job is rendering services using a set of skills to someone, either an employer or a company, in exchange for money.
The traditional jobs, which are still on-demand today, are jobs of the greater population that the world has. These jobs could be at companies, offices, establishments, schools, hospitals, and other workplaces. But now, another type of job exists, which only differs at the place, and also a trendy job today - working in your own home.
Home-based jobs are any type of task or service demanded by an employer or a company that can be performed at the comfort of your home. These types of jobs are tasks that can be done even without going out of your own house.
HOME-BASED WORKER - THE REQUIREMENTS
It has basic common requirements for any type of job that can be performed at your home. These are the 3 basic home-based job requirements.
Internet Connection - The foremost requirement of any home-based job is for you to have a stable internet connection in your home.
Most transactions are done online and therefore in need of an internet connection for you to communicate with your employer, submit requirements, and to perform your job.
Most of the employers would require you to have a stable internet connection with specific internet speed.
Laptop/PC - An equally important requirement for a home-based worker is a personally-owned laptop or computer.
Some require mobile phones. These devices would be your modern-day paper-works or any other office jobs. All can be done on a computer or a laptop.
Depending on your job description, some employers would require specific specs of laptops or computers to qualify for the position.
Electrical Power - An obvious requirement for a home-based worker is electrical power. To power your WiFi and computer or laptops.
At times, employers would ask how often you experience power outages per month, some employers include that as a basic qualification to meet the demand of your job.
These are the basic requirements of any type of job you can do at home. Next, you will find out different types of jobs you can check if you qualify on.
TYPES OF HOME-BASED JOB
A lot of jobs can be done in the comfort of your home. So, evaluate yourself and see which among these available jobs best fit you. Here are some of the in-demand jobs you can do home.
- Online teaching has been one of the most in-demand jobs since it has boomed online. Online teachers are paid by the hour but some companies pay per class per student.
- Teaching different subjects to different students from around the world. The top teaching services offer is tutoring the English language to individuals of different age and nationality.
- Most platforms are only hiring college degree graduates. But some have opened doors to anyone, as long as they passed basic English tests.
- Other than the 3 basic requirements mentioned above, online teachers must have a noise-canceling headset with a microphone, some even require a USB headset. Also, their laptop or computers must have a camera.
- In different online platforms, one thing is the same, that content is everything. Equally in-demand job today is writing. Especially website content creation through writing. Writers are mostly paid per article produced.
- There are so many kinds of writers, examples are, content writer, copywriter, VA writer, ghostwriter, and many more.
- Just like online teaching qualifications, some only hire college graduates that took a course related to writing. However, there are also employers who exclude educational background as a qualification and base it on the skills.
- The 3 basic requirements mentioned above are the requirements every writer must meet, however, some set a specific standard of internet speed and laptop or computer specs.
- One of the high-paying jobs today but very challenging. Their task is to listen to audio or video files and type down the words in a format set by the company. They are paid by audio/video completed.
- Most companies hiring a transcriber doesn’t really look for a college degree but are very strict on the exams. And the individual must be patient and attention-detailed.
- Transcribers are required to have the 3 basic requirements which are mentioned above for every home-based employer and must have a noise-canceling headset. You also need to be in a quiet environment.
- Video editors are also a trendy job today. Some pay them per hour while others per project.
- They are mostly given links of the video and must download the video and edit it per instructions of their employers.
- A college degree is a basic qualification to be hired for this position. Or if in any case, perhaps a college level only.
- Video editors must have a stable internet connection, no power outage, and a high-quality laptop or computers.
- VAs are also the top of the in-demand jobs online and they are paid by the hour.
- Some of the virtual assistant's responsibility is to assist their employer and do some management tasks. Data entry is one of the common job tasks for VAs and also other admin tasks.
- A Virtual assistant must have the 3 basic requirements mentioned above and further requirements depending on the job description.
The 5 jobs mentioned above are some of the top high-paying and in-demand jobs of today. Are you switching careers now? Would you be a home-based employee now? Here are some further reasons to encourage you more.
PROS OF HOME-BASED JOBS
Compared to traveling to work and waking up early, staying at home sounds better when the same amount of salary is what you can potentially earn. A lot of benefits are there when working at home. Here are a few.
Time freedom - With working at an office or a company, you are expected and required to meet the standard time of work. You have no choice but to hurry or your salary will be deducted.
Most home-based workers are allowed by their employers to work at their own time. As long as they meet the number of hours worked or quota of tasks completed. Some may set a specific time, but you can still move freely and take breaks at your own pace
No traffic and commute hassle - Depending on where you live, but many would agree on how traveling, especially commuting is traumatic nowadays. When you are working at your home, you can avoid the possible dangers and discomfort traveling has.
Great pay - Although having a high salary would really depend on the job, you can find clients or be hired by employers who are outside of your country, which could have a higher exchange rate and salary rate.
Convenient - When working at home, you may not bath, you may not wear formal clothes, and you can relax and enjoy any sitting position without the fear of being judged.
You would really find working at home much easier and convenient than going outside. But even with its advantages, there are still cons with home-based jobs.
CONS OF HOME-BASED JOBS
Even in home-based jobs, you can still have bad experiences due to some unforeseen reason. Examples of that are this list.
Swindled - Something that no workers want to experience but undeniably inevitable. Due to the work’s nature, a home-based employee has the tendency to be swindled, to perform tasks, and render services without being paid.
Reliability to technical aspects - Power outage, intermittent to zero internet connection, and laptop or computer technical difficulties might happen, and worse is in the middle of your work. Home-based jobs relied on those things a hundred percent. Without it, you're doomed.
Disturbed by your housemates - Another tendency of working at home is being disturbed by any other member of the family. This could happen sometimes, but this could really be a nuisance.
A tendency to procrastinate - Not being monitored could sometimes lead an individual to procrastinate. For that reason, you might not finish your work or have a pile of workload on the weekend.
The negative side of being a home-based worker is something within your control. You can be very careful when accepting clients and you can have contingency plans as back up in case of technical errors.
So, weighing the pros and cons of home-based jobs, which is much heavier for you? To help you decide is the summary of this article.
TO SUM IT UP
If you find your current job to be a long-term position, then pursue it. However, if you want to switch careers and would like to taste the perks of home-based jobs, go and try it.
A home-based job is you offering services to someone else right at the very comfort of your home. You must have the basic requirements - internet connection, laptop/pc, and electrical power. There are a lot of types of jobs you can do, evaluate which set of skills you have and which are you are most passionate about.
Also, there are reasons why should you and should not switch to home-based jobs, but it's completely up to you. You can evaluate the reasons and find which of it you agree with and which is not. The only human being who knows you the most - what you can do, what you can’t take, and who you are, is you.
Being employed or having a job is a very important factor in adulthood. That’s why carefully contemplating it is a must. Regardless, if ever you want to switch careers - give home-based jobs a try!