MT5 Rookie
      I am:
      Angelic

Irene is on a distinguished road Irene's Avatar
      Accumulated bonus
      0 USD (What is this?)
      Thanks

Post The Best Retinoid From The Ordinary That You Should Definitely Try

When you grow older youíll realized that our skin wasnít that good anymore compared to what it was before. Maybe its age, or maybe it because life happened and there was just so many things we needed to accomplish in our life. Also, it became normal that I wasnít able to sleep an average of 8 hours anymore, sometimes not even being able to sleep just to cram thousands of paperwork that needed to be passed the next day. I wasnít eating well also and sometimes I donít even eat because of too much work to do. In short, I was bombarded with too much stress, toxins and adulting. Additionally, I felt like my skin just doesnít recover that quickly anymore compared to before. Before, when we get a pimple itís gone in a matter of day but now, pimples just seems to take much longer to heal. I did have a skincare routine that used to work for my skin when I was younger, but for some reason, it now didnít give the same effect it used to do for my skin before. Maybe, it was because my previous skincare routine just canít catch up with my horrible lifestyle and aging.

Realizing just how important it is to maintain the skin especially when youíre getting older, I told myself that I needed to at least try and fix my crappy lifestyle and my skin. I really donít want to change my skincare too much because I know my skin was already used with specific products. I just want a skincare product that will give a push for further improvement of my skin and maybe make me look more vibrant and look my age. So, after hours of countless research, I realized that I didnít have a skincare product that focus on helping anti-aging. Well, Iím still afraid of using retinol but I did read that retinol skincare products can really help in diminishing the signs of aging. And from what I have read in the internet, retinol can increase cell turnover and stimulate collagen and elastin production. This means retinol will help rejuvenate elastin fiber to that our skin will retain and recover its firmness and elasticity. It can also increase the appearance of firmness, diminish the look of wrinkles and fine lines and even improve uneven skin tone and smooth the texture of the skin. Retinol can even fight acne and is well researched to be a miraculous product, proven to give actual results with continuous use. All in all, I was really sold on the use of retinol so I wanted to buy one ASAP. Unfortunately, I really canít just jump to retinol since my skin wasnít used to it yet and hasn't even built a tolerance for active. I needed to try retinoid first, which is a derivative of retinol and is less irritating, according to studies. It was just kind of hard finding retinoid product that didnít have a review that said it didnít work for them. Well, I know trying to achieve perfect and youthful skin is hard. Sigh.

The Ordinary is a Canadian brand that revolutionized the industry by offering no frill ingredients with minimalist packaging at an affordable price. Really affordable price since they offer their products at under $10. They also offer less on what high end brands offer as well. The Ordinary decided to be transparent in their products and how certain products, that luxury brands marked up significantly, doesnít even cost that much. I couldnít really skip this deal, I mean who will? The only intimidating part of The Ordinary is that the product names of their skincare products are actually the highly scientific ingredient names that is the main ingredient of the skincare product. The good this is, compared to other skincare brands, Deciem, the owner and founder of The Ordinary, offers explanations for each ingredient and what it is used for. They give this information in the form of a small leaflet that is included when you purchase their products. Their in-depth explanations of each active ingredient can also be found in their website.

But since every product of theirs arenít really for the skincare novices, I decided to review all their Retinoid products so you can try what you really need and what you need to skip. Now before you go any further, remember, I am not trying to say that this product might work for you as it worked for me. This are all my personal experience with The Ordinary Retinoid skincare product. Every skin differ from each other. Also, not all The Ordinary Retinoid products are included since I do not have enough money nor time to try and review all their products.

The Ordinary Retinoid

Image retrieved from https://theskincareedit.com/.image/t...e-retinoid.jpg

The Ordinary Retinoid offer a lot of benefits for the skin. They can help target multiple signs of aging, reduce the look of wrinkles, and just improve skin elasticity and improve the overall appearance of our skin. They can also help treat pigmentations and photo damage from the sun. Truthfully, simply slathering retinoid onto our skin doesnít really give more retinoid to the skin, it doesnít work that way. Actually, your body sees these retinoid as a ďsignalĒ to heal your skin and produce more collagen. So when you introduce exogenous retinoid to the skin, you trick it into thinking that you have an injury or a wound and it will then stimulate our skin to create collagen for that certain part of the body. Thus, retinoid really is a miracle worker and an essential part of skincare. Unfortunately, The Ordinary Retinoid have only few product under its belt. Specifically, the brand only has 5 products under its belt, really few but still enough for you to pick something that might work for you. For this review, Iíll be only trying the two most popular retinoid from The Ordinary Retinoid line since I really want to know what all the hype is about.

1. The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 0.2 in Squalane

Image retrieved from https://www.kikaysikat.com/wp-conten...e-review-1.jpg

The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane is actually the most moderate-strength alternative to retinol and is said to produce no irritation whatsoever. It consist of 0.2% hydroxipinacolone retinoate (HPR), a retinoid ester which is said to have the same effect on the skin as retinol. From the website, it states that ďgranactive retinoidĒ means the delivery system for HPR, specifically, it includes the dimethyl isosorbide in a 10:1 ratio to the HPR. This product is also considered as really affordable compared to other retinoids on the market. It is also silicone free which is rare in the retinoid skincare market.

When I first tried this product I was shocked with its color and smell. It has a yellow tint, which fortunately disappears when rubbed into the skin and not that visible compared to other vibrant-colored skincare products from The Ordinary. It really does give a lot benefit to the skin. In just a matter of days of using it, I looked more vibrant and glowy that it looks like I was sleeping and drinking more than 8 glasses of water per day. I canít say much on its effect on wrinkles since I think I need a much longer time to see result for my smile lines and other wrinkles. Also, while trying to see the effect of each ingredient in The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane, I found out that HPR may help with mild acne according to some studies, but the brand doesnít advertise it as one, so donít get your hopes up that it will show miraculous effect to your acne.

Additionally, The Ordinary offers a much higher concentration for the The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane, The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane, so if you didnít see much of a difference when using the 2% one but you also donít want to try other retinoids that might cause you irritation, a higher percentage may help to show more effect.

Was I satisfied with this product? No, not really. For my first retinoid, the concentration was much lower than what my skin needed. But if you have sensitive skin and are prone to irritation, you should try this product first since it will build your tolerance. Also, this might yield better results for you compared to mine. I do not discredit the affectability of this product, itís just that it didnít give much result to my skin. The plus side is that, it didnít irritated my skin even with daily use for the month. Additionally, I didnít like how itís greasy because of the squalane, it feels like the product just sits on top of my face instead of getting absorbed. 3/5.

2. The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion

Image retrieved from https://www.adorebeauty.com.au/media...dinary-af9.png

The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion is a unique formulation that contains two types of retinoid that produce a much lower amount of irritation or even no irritation at all, depending on your skin. It contains 0.2 hydroxypinacolone retinoate, just like The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane. It is also one of the lowest priced retinoid in the market and is also silicone-free. It is also quite stable, with a shelf life of 12 months and compared to the granactive oils, it is similar to a creamy serum. Liah Yoo, one of the most popular skincare influencer in YouTube, is a big fan of this retinoid and religiously try it.

When I tried The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion, I was blown away by just how amazing its effects are. I felt like it helped smoothen out my wrinkles on my forehead since it doesnít looked that scrunched up when I frown. There wasnít really much of a difference on static wrinkles like my smile lines but I know that static wrinkles are much harder to try to remove since they are almost permanent on the skin that is why they are prominent. But with the same time I used to try The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane, I felt like it made much of a difference and people kept commenting more that I looked much younger and I seem to be glowing or blooming. Also, compared to the other lower concentration of granactive oils, this contains retinol but a very low percentage since the brand didnít stated how much. Also, since its water based, it isnít as stable as the other retinoids in the brand. Personally, out of the three, I will use The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion since it gives more visible effect compared to the other two.

Was I satisfied with this product? Yes, so much more than The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane. I liked the granactive 2% retinoid as well but I felt like anti-aging products with retinols are much more effective for me and satisfied my criteria on what I was looking for an anti-aging skincare. I definitely will vouch for its effect and I think itís a lucky coincidence that I bought this product because if I didnít, Iíll never know that I can try to use anti-aging skincare with retinol at a much lower concentration. 5/5.

Retinol might have been proven to provide a lot of benefits for the skin and lessening signs of aging for the skin, but it doesnít mean you need to rely on retinol only. You can also try retinoid, a derivative of retinols, which is such a great alternative and The Ordinary certainly offers amazing retinoid serums. But, if The Ordinary still doesnít suit your taste, you can always try experimenting with other brandís skincare. You should just try finding a product that works well with your skin. Also, never try to overuse retinoid since they are also actives, they can still sensitize your skin. That does happen trust me. Try to slowly incorporate retinoid especially if youíre a beginner when it comes to actives. You donít have to find a product that produce instant result, you can try finding a product that you know does its job and will work for you in the long term. The most important thing is, you should know your skinís needs and always listen to what your skin is telling you.

2. The following 3 users say Thank You to Irene for this useful post.

Joohyun (06-30-2020), Seulgi (07-03-2020), Unregistered (1)

Reply to thread