I launched a series of articles about fashion and the environment a few days ago, beginning with the conclusion that fashion has become one of the most important industries. For years the alarm bells have been ringing from environmental groups, brands, other newspapers, etc., but the situation is only getting worse. TV interviews have the greatest impact as they touch a great many people. But with every broadcast, we get the unpleasant feeling that nothing really changes our consumption habits after the wave of outrage expressed across social networks. And the front-end coverage is as grim as ever.

So if more and more of us accept that the problem is genuine, what can we do about it? This problem was posed to ourselves, above all, as citizens. Then, as a means. At a time when we always talk about influencers, when we think there's an impact like a vehicle, how can we put it at the foot of a more responsible fashion? We may find the web to have been a real media springboard for brands trying to meet this challenge for years. Today, we wish we could go even further. In this second chapter, we invite you to review what we might call "good practices" when consuming responsibly.

1. Sort through your clothes

Name: mode-responsable-donner.jpg Views: 1 Size: 101.0 KB

We barely wear 20 to 30 per cent of the clothes we own, according to many reports. In other words , it needs good sorting from time to time! This not only allows you to avoid keeping clothes that you no longer wear and bring them back into circulation, but also to better appreciate the errors you may have made so as not to repeat them. This sorting aims at separating 3 clothing families: those we no longer wear because they are slightly damaged, those that are no longer suitable but in a condition to be resold, and those that are reasonably worthy of being issued.

A. Give your clothes a second life

Name: reparer-pull-bobine.jpg Views: 1 Size: 490.7 KB

We also come across items that we love by doing this sorting but that we don't wear anymore because they're slightly damaged or stained. So let's take the time to get it done! You can scrub, patch or retouch a certain number of clothes if you're a little clever and resourceful, with a towel, water, Marseille soap, or even thread and a needle. You can confide your clothes to a dry cleaner or a decent seamstress too! If you're curious how this could be done? What are the repair options? You may (re) discover a number of subjects dealing with the upkeep of his clothes in specific cases related to socks, sweaters, leather jackets, etc.

B. Resell

Name: mode-responsable-revendre.jpg Views: 1 Size: 94.8 KB

We all have clothes that are in decent (even perfect) shape but we don't wear any more: they 're no longer the right size (or we've remembered they never were), they 're not comfortable. Not our style in the end, or we just got bored. The ideal is then to take the time to place them on sale, either on the occasion of a storage room or through an online classified service such as Le Bon Coin, Vestiaire Group, Videdressing or Comme un Vehicle, as we have been selling our own service for a year and a half as you know it (or not). We are thereby making room in our dressing room and putting money aside so that we can spend it better later!

C. Make a first assessment

Carrying out this sorting also gives you a better understanding of the errors we may have made when buying clothes that we actually wear very little (if ever). This helps us to begin to contemplate what really suits us. A representation that we will continue to see people on the street, look on the internet, try on clothes in shops, know labels, etc. But you've got to ask yourself the right questions before you buy new clothes: Is this the right size for me? Perfect fit? A color that suits me well, and I'd better wear it? What is the opportunity? On a date, in the evening, in class? What sort of parts do I already have by comparing it to? In short, a good buy will fulfill a real need, rarely an impulse

2. Acquire new, more responsible clothes

A. Pay more attention to quality

When you start taking an interest in fashion, especially because you want to follow a more responsible consumption, you will see that there is a lot of knowledge to be gained but we will save you time: a quality t-shirt doesn't cost much. Not 5, not a standard 15 jumper, etc. Very often, the price is an significant index about the quality of the proposed garment (even if we can not make a law of it for as much because some brands that one considers "simple" actually spend much more on ads than on manufacturing costs). The other criteria to remember is the popular mark that tells us about the composition of a product, any marks, the place of manufacture, and so on.

Name: mode-responsable-basiques.jpg Views: 1 Size: 111.6 KB

With regard to quality, it is easier to prefer clothes composed mainly of natural materials such as wool , cotton, linen, etc. There's a lot of clothing brands that are usually price assurances. And again, in a rational argument, it is clear that it is easier to prefer clothes manufactured in Europe than in Asia, where production standards are not as rigorous and transport distances are longer. But these are still requirements to be suitable as technical apparel, such as a parka or sportswear, most often involves the use of synthetic fibers that also have interesting characteristics, and are most often produced in Asia, because it is in this region of the world today where we find the most significant means of production, and sometimes even, a know-how that can not be found elsewhere.

B. Invest in good basics

When you regularly read my articles you will have noted that I often use the word "to invest." Acquiring quality clothing is indeed a form of investment, as it costs more to purchase but can be worn more often and longer. Therefore there is a real economic justification, but also ecological, as we do not replicate the same purchase during this period. Jeans, for example, are a garment that needs all our attention because their manufacture has a significant impact on the environment and can wear it out very easily if chosen of poor quality. Good jeans can be one of our closet's most valuable items, by comparison. It's a garment we'll wear very often and for a relatively long time (if it's of quality). Very often, we discuss this subject of strong basics.

C. Promoting the ethical offer

The eco-designed product is a product friendly to maximize the quantities of raw materials used, to reduce energy consumption and the use of hazardous goods during its production, and eventually to limit the quantity of waste. More and more fashion brands choose to manufacture differently and today we are seeing an eco-responsible option for almost every product type. Such brands are also less apparent to the general public but you know a certain number of them if you are one of the frequent readers, since they are always highlighted. As this second chapter "Mode & Environment" is relatively long, we also provide a summary subject for precisely addressing this issue.

D. Think second hand

If you are going to buy a new dress, you should have the instinct more often to look for it in second hand. Ecologically it allows you to buy a garment already made. Economically, it reflects the opportunity to purchase a better but less costly garment. Instead of purchasing a "fast fashion" item of clothing for an equal budget, you can buy a quality piece that has rarely been scarcely worn. This piece, of course, remains to be found! And in the fashion of men the stock of second-hand clothes is obviously much lower than in the fashion of women. And we could see through the web, then through our dedicated platform after, that there was real expectation that second-hand clothes could be sold or bought in price. We are currently conducting a survey to continue to improve this service (if you are interested in the subject, there is always time to take part elsewhere)

3. Take care of your clothes

Name: mode-responsable-entretien.jpg Views: 1 Size: 71.1 KB

Ultimately, even though it may seem like a no-brainer, it's good to remember (I think we'll also give you 2-3 tips in passing), that taking care of your clothes helps to prolong your life and is part of it in a responsible approach, therefore. To do this, you must obey the maintenance instructions (see the famous little label again), wash delicate clothes by hand or use a safety net, and, overall, make sure to use less electrical appliances and detergents as they use a lot of energy, pollute a lot of detergents and each wash damages the fabric a little more and releases fibers into the wild.

Here are a few best practices:

Dry the garments less often
Using bio detergent
The machine only runs when it is complete
Prefer Climate cycles, at 30 C
Use a safety net
Air dry clothing as soon as possible instead of in a dryer
Hang your laundry out well to limit iron use

I myself have made sure to apply a maximum of these tips to plan this post. For instance, there are clothes I've just worn for half a day, or a whole day but staying at home without doing a lot of physical activity, which I just hanged outside to be able to air and postpone. The next day. It does work very well! This removed the few odors that were on it and I did not have any feedback from the people around me.